Table of Contents
- 1 Internet:
- 1.1 Characteristics of Internet
- 1.2 Elements of the Internet
- 1.3 Uniform Resource Locators (URL)
- 1.4 Internet Protocol
- 1.5 Elements of the web
- 1.6 Basic Internet Terminologies
- 1.7 Applications of Internet
- 1.8 Commerce on the Internet
- 1.9 Cyber Crime
The Internet is an interconnection between several computers of different types belonging to various network across the world. It is a network of networks. Millions of people use the internet to search and share the information and ideas etc.
The Internet is a computer-based worldwide information network. It is the network of computers connected with one another all over the world.
Characteristics of Internet
- A complex network
- A decentralized system
- Composed of billions of files
- Widely used
- International in scope
- Expanding Exponentially
Elements of the Internet
Client PCs are the computers that request information from servers. It typically maintains intermitted (part-time) connections. If your personal computer has access to the internet, it is categorized as a client computer.
A server is a computer that holds the files for one or more websites. These are relatively powerful computers with a persistent (full-time) internet connection and can provide data to multiple client computers simultaneously.
Networks are composed of one or more server computer and multiple client PCs.
“Node” is a generic term used to describe a client, server, or network.
Uniform Resource Locators (URL)
Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) are the unique addresses of Internet resources. A URL is divided into four parts:
- Transfer protocol
- Server name
- Directory path
- File Name
IP is a method by which data is sent from one computer to another over the network. Each computer that is connected to the internet has at least one IP address which uniquely identifies the computer from other computers.
Coding:- <html> <head> <title> A Simple HTML Program </title> </head> <body> <h1> HTML is very easy to learn. </h1> <p> Welcome to the world of HTML. </p> <p> This is the first paragraph however short it is still a paragraph. </p> <p> And this is the second paragraph. </p> </body> </html>
Elements of the web
A web browser is a program that resides on your pc and can display text images and multimedia data found on different web pages. A web browser is a program that helps the user to navigate the world wide web.
Basic Internet Terminologies
- Modem:- A modem is a computer peripheral that allows you to connect and communicate with other computers via telephone lines. When digital data are to be sent over telephone lines, the digital signals must be converted to analog form. The technique by which a digital signal is converted to its analog form is known as modulation. The reverse process, ie, the conversion of digital data to analog form and vice-versa is carried out by the modem.
- Internet Protocol:- A protocol is a set of rules for exchanging information. On the internet, IP is responsible for the addressing and sending of data from one computer to another.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP):- ISP is a company that provides access to the internet.
- Netiquette:- Netiquette is the conventional rules for correct behavior on the internet.
Applications of Internet
- To exchange electronic mail with friends.
- To participate in group discussion on topics of interest through public newsgroups.
- Finding educational tools, universities around the world, bookstores, and libraries for sharing online information.
- Students can talk to their teachers and receive instruction through video conferencing.
- The internet has become the first global venue for publishing information.
Commerce on the Internet
Commerce on the internet means buying and selling items on the internet. It may be a way of enabling business over the internet. Many companies set up their websites providing details of their products and services. Users can purchase items through credit cards.
Types of e-commerce available on the internet
It means a company selling or buying products from other companies.
It means a company establishes a website on the internet. It provides information about products and services on the site. A customer can order products or get any other information from the site.
3. Digital Middleman:-
It means that a company provides information about several other companies on a website. The company gathers data from companies which provide the same type of products, say cars, computer hardware, etc. A commission is then charged for each transaction.
Any criminal activity that uses a computer either as an instrument, target or a means for perpetuating further. Crimes come within the ambit of “Cyber Crime”.
The manner of Committing Cyber Crime
- Unauthorized access to the computer system or network
- Theft of information contained in the electronic form.
- E-mail bombing.
- Data diddling.
- Salami Attacks.
- Virus or Worms attacks.
- Trojan attacks.
- Internet time thefts.
Prevention of Cyber Crimes
- To prevent cyberstalking, avoid disclosing any information pertaining to oneself.
- Always avoid sending any photograph online, particularly to strangers and chat friends.
- Always use the latest and updated anti-virus software to guard against virus attacks.
- It keeps backup volumes so that one may not suffer data loss in case of virus contamination.
- Use of firewalls may be beneficial.
Coding for Quote Element:- <html> <head> <title> A simple Inline Element </title> </head> <body> <h1> A new HTML 4.0 Element. </h1> <p> Churchil said, <Q> "we have chosen same and will get, "</Q> but he was not talking about 1066. </p> </body> </html>